Friday 24 May 2024

Still I Rise by Maya Angelou

 Poet Introduction 



Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Johnson on April 4, 1928, in St. Louis, Missouri, she grew up in St. Louis and Stamps, Arkansas. She was a multi-talented author, poet, historian, songwriter, playwright, dancer, producer, director, performer, singer, and civil rights activist. Angelou is famous for her seven autobiographies, including "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," and several poetry collections, such as "Just Give Me a Cool Drink of Water 'fore I Diiie."


In 1959, at Martin Luther King Jr.'s request, she became the northern coordinator for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. She worked as an editor in Cairo and Ghana in the 1960s. Angelou returned to the U.S. in 1974, was appointed to the Bicentennial Commission by Gerald Ford, and later to the Commission for International Woman of the Year by Jimmy Carter. She became a professor at Wake Forest University in 1982.


In 1993, she wrote and recited a poem at Bill Clinton's inauguration. Angelou received the National Medal of Arts in 2000 and the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2010. She was Hollywood's first black female director, worked on various TV and film projects, and was nominated for two Tony awards. Angelou died on May 28, 2014, in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, at the age 86.


Still I Rise 


You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries.

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own back yard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.



Poem Synopsis



In "Still I Rise," Maya Angelou uses clever wordplay to highlight both the history and personal significance of African-Americans. She intertwines "Write down in history" to refer to the recording of her people's story and her own achievements. Despite facing ridicule and mistreatment, Angelou asserts her resilience, comparing herself to dust that rises after being stepped on.


In the second stanza, Angelou challenges the listener's reaction to her confidence, sexuality, and beauty. She embraces these qualities confidently, comparing her abundance to that of an oil baron. She insists she will rise like the sun and moon, symbolizing ongoing hope and determination. The moon's pull on the tides symbolizes reliability, much like the daily cycles of sunrise and sunset.


In the fourth stanza, Angelou asks questions that suggest others want to crush her spirit, but in the fifth stanza, she stands proud and defiant, her laughter reflecting self-confidence and wealth.


In the sixth stanza, Angelou compares her resilience and that of fellow black people to the effortless movement of air. Despite facing hatred and cruelty, they rise lightly and freely.


The seventh stanza shifts from sassiness to overt sexiness, with Angelou's confident swagger depicted through the image of diamonds between her thighs.


The poem's final lines repeat "I rise," showing that she and others have overcome historical shame. Like a strong "black ocean," she endures and thrives, leaving behind a past of fear and embracing a hopeful future. This new dawn represents the fulfillment of her ancestors' dreams and the achievements of Civil Rights activists, symbolizing a precious gift.

Themes 


Oppression


Oppression is a key theme in the poem, addressing the historical suffering of black people and condemning their white oppressors. The poet's determination to overcome hardships and resist oppression honors the legacy of her enslaved ancestors.


Resilience


Another important theme in the poem is resilience, showing the fight and victory against racism over time. The poet expresses a determined and fighting spirit, refusing to give up and declaring her determination to overcome challenges.

The link between oppression and racism is important in the speaker's story. Calling herself a "black ocean" clearly refers to race and highlights the difference between "you" and "I" in the poem. The poet condemns racism and supports the idea of overcoming prejudice, no matter what someone's background or skin color is.


Sexism



The poem also hints at sexism, as the speaker's defiance may be driven by her being female. The metaphorical language mainly addresses the oppression of black men and women, but the speaker's confident sexuality and bold "dancing" highlight a strong female presence. By embracing her sexuality and rejecting male dominance, she combats discrimination based on both race and gender.



Thank you.

Literary Theory and Criticism | Arnold and Eliot

  Function of criticism by Arnold                                  introduction Matthew Arnold , English Victorian poet and literary. and so...